3 Jan 2019

RTW Fast 2018 - Summary

The rules were pretty tough - no new clothing bought for a full year except underwear, shoes or accessories. I signed up to see if I can manage at all.
I did manage and drew a few unexpected conclusions.

1. I became more conscious about buying clothes generally. I had to buy stuff for the kids and was surprised to see me checking for fair conditions and good quality materials. I'm trying to eliminate polyester and plastics as much as possible from everyone's wardrobe in the family.

2. I was very happy to realize I did my winter coat and jeans buys late in 2017 - so no need arose in 2018. It would have been very hard to make any of these. 

3. Swimwear was also on the no-go list. Although I have already sewn swimwear it's not something I want to do regularly. I had new ones from 2017 so again no need in 2018 but for sure this year I'll get some new ones.

4. I became more picky on items to buy. My self-made items last at least 3 seasons so that has become my expectation for RTW. Honestly, this is limiting - the price tag that comes with this is usually higher than my pain-threshold. I learnt a lot about fabrics and learnt to differentiate between high and good quality. This also helps when I buy fabric for my projects.

5. I sewn silk this year. It was a feared fabric due mainly to price. I ended up being able to make something I like wearing but I also learnt that I need to do a muslin before I cut into my expensive JT silks.


I will not be fasting in 2019 - however being more conscious will probably result in less RTW buys and longer lasting items. 

No comments:

Post a Comment