14 Aug 2018

Last makes of July

Just for the record a few items to fill wardrobe gaps and use the deep stash.

For the times when I need a silver metallic look I used a very deep stash fabric. It wasn´t even recorded in my file but I remember buying it - when I moved over to Germany back in 2011.
I used the pattern a million times already - more details here. This time I opted out the waterfall neckline and just replaced it with a normal one.


Summer dress for the hot days. This was the one which I screwed. Tried to finish the neckline with FOE and ended up ripping the whole thing out. Yes, double zigzag, was a fun project for a few evenings. Finally I finished with normal bias binding. Fabric was not stash - so count it as preventive stashbusting? The pattern is the dress version of Burda 2/2013 model 126 (latest T-shirt makes here - and here. I had to add to darts tot he back though. The fabric they called was a jersey knit and I used a woven stretch. It wasn´t just as drapey so adding the dart was the right thing to do.

Burda 2/2013

Shorts to use the last piece of the fabric -
Burda 6/2011


7 Aug 2018

Stop Hoarding

I always had some kind of fabric stash. It gradually increased with the available space. When I moved over to Germany I didn´t have much since I didn´t have the space. Then I got carried away. Boxes, basement, free space in my cabinet. Constant chaos and the pressure to decrease. Honestly nobody likes this type of chaos. It´s highly depressive and blocks creativity - even if you don´t dare to admit.
I joined the Stashbusting Sewalong in 2014, joined the FB group created a year later and made an inventory of fabrics I had. I was not surprised by the lengthy xls list but it was a start.

My target is always to sew more than what I buy - and I do manage. All it took was an Excel sheet and some discipline. I made a few rules for myself. No, I don´t always manage to follow but it keeps me organized and within a reasonable limit. 

Here are the rules -

1. Stop visiting online fabric stores regularly to avoid temptation.

2. Unsubscribe from newsletters of the above. They will always have great deals. No point in buying something just because it´s a great deal but you have no idea what you´ll use it for.

3. Keep track of your spend for fabric. You´ll be surprised at the end of the year how much you could save.

4. If you come across stuff you really like put it on the wish list. If you still want it badly after a week it´s probably going to be used so go ahead and buy.

5. Learn to give away fabric. It feels liberating to do good with stuff you don´t need. And make space in your cabinet.

6. If you happen to visit a store make sure you only buy fabric for specific projects.

7. If you really itch to buy something buy notions. A few new buttons, trims or FOE takes smaller space, costs less and have less limitation on usage. I´m a fan of Aliexpress as it has endless selection of dirt cheap notions. It takes a month to arrive though.

8. Accept the things you can´t change. My sewing space is always messy. My ironing board is always full of fabrics and patterns. 

I´m sure there are many more ideas on controlling acquisition of fabric stash. Any that works for you?

First recorded fabric stash




My yearly fabric charity give-away


22 Jul 2018

Plant dyeing

I´m sewing less as I screwed a neckline which needs to be ripped (FOE so double work) and until that´s done I´m not starting anything new.
Instead I was experimenting with plant dying a bit (also to pamper my little soul after the failure on that neckline).
So I used untreated wool yarn and this was the result -

Dyestuff from left - tea, tea 2nd dip, ivy leaves, Japanese indigo and mahonia berries

The Japanese indigo leaves require no mordant and can be applied cold which makes it great. I loved using it - too bad I only had enough for one skein of merino yarn.
The rest was with 14% cold alum mordant

5 Jul 2018

Grey Linen

I had the fabric since a while and had in mind do make a set (Pattern Burda 4/2002 117b+127)
Everything went wrong what could go wrong.

  • I should ´ve listened to my inner fairy saying the skirt pattern is crap. It was, same piece for back and front with darts of same size - WTF? Of course I had to hack it to fit.
  • I didn´t set the iron properly for the lining (poly) and almost burnt a whole into it - was already assembled. Luckily it happened at the bottom and the hemming helped a lot.
  • I had to rip the side seams to give some ease on both the cover and the lining. When ripping I cut into it twice. Yes, twice. Ironing some fusible interface on the wrong side got me covered.
  • The collar is not supposed to look like this but I just don´t care.
  • When doing the buttonholes my machine was not set properly so I had to rip the first hole twice. (Yes, I was kicking myself for not setting the automatic buttonhole properly the first time AND testing it at least once)
  • When cutting the holes my ripper got out of control and cut into fabric. Luckily not through. My finger stopped it. Yes, I was bleeding but not onto the garment.


Regardless of sweat and blood I like the outcome. Here. 

From a distance everything looks perfect

Not sure if this is how it should look like

Ripper accident fixed




4 Jul 2018

Recycle

Once upon a time there was a pair of leather pants. Nobody liked it so it was laying around for years. Then I came and put it into my sewing stash - leather is expensive and the fabric itself was in good condition. Too it apart and stored it for a while.
Then I got some wool to try. I started with a simple rectangle. 
Then I thought I could make a bag. And so it was. Here it comes the upcycled bag - made of 100% natural fabrics. The lining is the cheapest Ikea cotton you can get (2 EUR/m).

Pocket was on the back of the pants